Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tuesday June 7, 2011

One, Twos, Tres….. (how Danny Ponder has begun to learn Spanish)
Wow, what a whirlwind three days. I have been witness to some amazing occurrences. This morning we woke up at 5:30 in hopes that we would still get a smidgen of hot water from the shower. Nope—all gone. We were served another wonderful breakfast by Peru’s own Paula Dean, Nancy, from Villa Milagro. I almost feel guilty eating the way we have, delicious meal after meal, but Brother Mike put my guilt at ease with his mini sermon tonight. The Bible clearly stated in Luke 10:8, “When you enter a town, eat what is set before you.” Yep, guilt gone.
We walked to the clinic this morning and it was so refreshing. The weather here has been much more pleasant than the weather in Arkansas from what I hear. God blesses these people with a landscape that cannot be described. I have taken almost 700 pictures, and none can do it justice. The gates were scattered with a few people, but more would pour in later. We had already been set up from the day before, so things began to move much quicker. People were triaged and sent to dental, medical, and lenses. At first people looked apprehensive, but that soon turned into appreciation. In the dental clinic, patients started to trickle in. Many people needed several extractions, but only wanted one or two teeth extracted. Several people wanted their teeth cleaned as well. Sparing you the dental terminology, we had a lot of what we needed, but not enough to help everyone. I got to anesthetize a few patients, a privilege reserved for dental hygienists and dentists in the United States. Every one who helped in dental was able to extract a tooth. The people of Chancay, and many other villages in the surrounding area, were very grateful. I know, because, I have been gifted with understanding people with wads of gauze in their mouth. Some women even let a few of us try on their prized possession, their sombrero to take “fotos”. It might not have been a very smart move, but it was an honor. Please pray that we do not have an outbreak of lice in the next few days.
Toward the end of the day, I made an unofficial transfer request to the Lenses area (our dental patients were completed for the time being). What heart warming moments I experienced. A man burst out after he put on a pair of reading glasses that allowed him to read John 3:16. I will never forget the smile on his face. It was a refreshing switch from dentistry. Although we probably clinically helped those people a little more, they weren’t always leaving with a smile if you know what I mean.
After seeing a fourteen year old who traveled very far alone because of a toothache, it was nice to take Spanish lessons from a few four year olds through chalk drawing animals on the sidewalk. It was hard to see all of those children whose size did not represent their age. I miss my girls so much, but from this experience I will be a better parent and a better person. I will be a better neighbor and a better Christian. I thank God for this trip and this opportunity to minister to these people through the many things we have done.
Amber

No comments: